Monday, 9 November 2015

Podcast Reflection

Something I am most proud about with this podcast is how I got to interview 3 people with completely different backgrounds that provided a lot of insight to my topic. The biggest challenge with this podcast was time management. My interviewees were only free during the last few days of the project, and I needed the interviews for my bridges. Something that I wish I had more time to fine-tune were the bridges and transitions between my soundbites. Sometimes, they did not really flow together, so it really affected the rest of the podcast. Something unintended that I learned was not to procrastinate. I procrastinated my ticket to ride so that heavily affected the rest of my project and schedule.
     The interviews went very well. The interviewees answered the questions with detail, and they slowly opened up more as the interviews went on. During Rui's interview, I asked him how the haze was affecting his learning. He had answered with, "It's not affecting my learning." After some prodding and letting him ease into the questions, he answered with much more detail: "The haze is not letting me go to P.E. classes outside, so we have to do stuff in the gym. It’s really not fun in the gym because you can’t really do the activities that you’re supposed to do, like the mile."
     I think that I could have been better at asking follow-up questions. I was too focused on trying to get all of the questions that I had come up with and too nervous to bring the conversation to a new area that I barely asked any.
I asked Mr. Clark, "How do you think the haze affects teaching at SAS?"
He answered, “It’s had a major impact this year. I’ve been here for 7 years now and it’s never had too much of an impact at all, but in recent months, it’s had a very big impact on me as a P.E. teacher because we found that we have had to restrict our lessons so much, and so many of our lessons that we wanted to teach outside, we’ve had to teach inside. This means that often, a gym that we would have a class of 20, we end up with a class of 60 because of the haze. It has a big impact on the P.E. program, and it also has a big impact on after school coaching. The first season has been really disruptive because of the haze.”
"So you said that you needed to transfer some outside classes indoors. How does that affect physical activity?"
"Well, for example, things like the mile run. The mile run is something that we do each quarter. We didn't even get a chance to do that in the first quarter because we obviously can't do the mile run inside. It also means that when you do things like touch rugby or flag football or ultimate frisbee, a lot of those sports require so much space. Because we have to bring them inside, it makes it pretty much impossible to do those sports."
     There is nothing else I would like to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment